Full Curriculum Vitae
Marcelo Osvaldo Magnasco
|Current Position:||Professor and Head, Mathematical Physics Lab.|
|Current Address:||The Rockefeller University,
1230 York Avenue
New York NY10021, U.S.A.
|Telephone:||(212) 327 8542 (w) 7422 (f)|
|Email:||mylastname atsign rockefeller dot edu
The University of Chicago: Ph.D. (Physics)
The University of Chicago: M.Sc. (Physics)
University of La Plata: Licenciado en Fisica
||Professor and Head of Lab,
|Jul 2002-Jul 2003||Research Scientist, Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics, UNESCO
Trieste, Italy. (On sabbatical leave of absence from RU)
|Jan 1999-Jul 2003||Associate Professor and Head of Lab
Dec 1993- Dec 1998
|Assistant Professor and Head of Lab,
Jan 1992- Dec 1993
|Postdoctoral Fellow, Rockefeller University (under M. J. Feigenbaum)
and Visiting Scientist, NEC Research Institute (under A. J. Libchaber
and P. A. Wolff)
|1991||William Rayney Harper Dissertation Fellow (best PhD thesis in the Physical Sciences Division) and
Sydney Bloomenthal Dissertation Fellow (best PhD thesis in the Physics Department)
The University of Chicago
Sep 1988- Dec 1991
|Research Assistant, (under L. P. Kadanoff), The James Frank Institute,
Teaching Assistant, Kersten Physics Teaching Center
The University of Chicago .
- Guillermo A. Cecchi. Towards a song code: representations of song in the canary brain. PhD thesis, Rockefeller University, 1999
- Yong Choe, The role of mechanotransduction in osmoreception and auditory amplification Ph. D. thesis, Rockefeller University, April 2002. (co-advised; principal advisor Jim Hudspeth)
- Mariano Sigman, How the brain learns and constructs the structure of the world. Ph. D. thesis, Rockefeller University, April 2002 (jointly advised with Charles Gilbert)
- Timothy Gardner, Vocal Analysis and Learning Mechanisms for Canary Song. Ph. D. thesis, Rockefeller University, Sept 2002
- Maurizio Pellegrino, Deconstructing Insect Odorant Receptors, Ph. D. thesis (co-advised, principal advisor Leslie Vosshall), July 2010
- Thibaud Taillefumier, Random paths though neural coding. Ph. D. thesis, Rockefeller University, September 2011
(Current members at the end, in bold)
Gustavo Stolovitzky, Postdoctoral Fellow, 1994-1997. Currently head of the functional genomics group at IBM’s Thomas Watson Research Center.
Guillermo Cecchi, Graduate Student 1994-1999 and Winston Fellow, 2000. Currently a permanent scientist at the Biometaphorical Computing group at IBM’s Thomas Watson Research Center.
Juan Parrondo, Visiting Professor 1995. Universidad Complutense de Madrid.
Yong Choe.(Co-advised) Graduate Student. 1996-2002. Currently Editor at Neuron.
Mariano Sigman, (Jointly advised) Graduate Student. 1997-2002. Currently Assistant Professor at the University of Buenos Aires.
Tim Gardner, Graduate Student, 1997-2002. CASI Awardee. Currently Assistant Professor, Boston University.
Dante Chialvo. Visiting Professor (1999), Adjunct Professor.
Mario Feingold, Visiting Professor, 1999.
Nick Socci, Senior Research Associate 2000-2001 (jointly with E. Siggia). Currently at MSKCC Biocore.
Victor Martinez-Eguiluz,Visiting Student, currently permanent researcher at IFISC, University of the Balear Islands, Mallorca
Felix Naef, Postdoctoral Fellow, 2001-2002 and Bristol-Myers-Squibb Fellow in Basic Neurosciences, 2002-2003. Currently Assistant Professor, Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Laussane
Margherita Peliti, Visiting Student (2001) and Graduate Student (2002) Currently Graduate Student, Leibler Lab, RU
Marcelo Montemurro, Postdoctoral Associate (ICTP), Oct 2002-2003. Currently at Faculty of Life Sciences, University of Manchester
Stefano Di Talia,Graduate Student (SiSSA/ICTP) 2003. Currently Postdoctoral Fellow, Wieshaus Lab, Princeton.
Mayte Suárez-Fariñas, Postdoctoral Fellow and Women in Science Fellow, 2003-2005. Currently Research Assistant Professor and Biostatistician, Rockefeller University Hospital.
Steffen Bohn, Postdoctoral Fellow, 2003-2004. Currently CNRS Fellow, Paris
Anton Zilman, PD Associate, 2004-2006. Currently Assistant Professor, Department of Physics, University of Toronto
Thomas Risler, PD Associate, 2005-2006. Currently Maitre De Conferences, Institut Curie
Daniel Andor, PD Associate, 2006-2010. Currently Vice-president at Benchmark.
Maurizio Pellegrino (Co-advised with Leslie Vosshall), Graduate Student, 2005-2010. Currently PD Fellow at the Batista Lab, Berkeley.
Oreste Piro,Visiting Professor, 2006-2007. (Permanently: University of the Balear Islands, Palma de Mallorca).
John Agapiou, Postdoctoral Fellow, 2008-2010. Currently Senior PD Associate, Cunningham Lab, Boston U.
Gasper Tkacik, Visiting Student, 2008. Currently Assistant Professor, IST Austria.
Maria Neimark Geffen, Raymond and Beverly Sackler Fellow, 2009-2010. CASI Awardee. Currently Assistant Professor, University of Pennsylvania Medical School.
Gergely Szöllősi, Visiting Student 2009. Currently Marie Curie Fellow, U. Lyon.
Xiao-Hu Yan, Studienstiftung visiting student, 2009. Currently at Goldman Sachs.
Jonathan Touboul, Postdoctoral Fellow, 2009-. Currently Faculty Researcher at INRIA and Ecole Normale Superieure in Paris.
Thibaud Taillefumier, Graduate Student, 2006-2011. Currently PD Fellow, Princeton.
Guillermo Solovey, Postdoctoral Fellow, 2009-
Akinori Ebihara, Graduate Student, 2009-
Matthew Dornfeld, Graduate Student, 2009-
Jacob Oppenheim, Graduate Student, 2009-
Eleni Katifori, Guest Investigator 2009-2010 and Raymond and Beverly Sackler Fellow, 2011. CASI awardee. Soon to be Group Leader, Max Planck Institute, Gottingen.
Marisa Gianna Evelyn, Postdoctoral Fellow, 2011-
Carl Modes, Postdoctoral Fellow 2011-
Sean Woodward, Graduate Student, 2011-
Keith Hayton, Graduate Student 2011-
Kimberly Siletti, Graduate Student (rotation), Fall 2011.
- ``A Universal Departure from the Classical Period-Doubling Spectrum", D.L. Gonzalez, M.O. Magnasco, G.B. Mindlin, H. Larrondo and L. Romanelli. Physica D 39 111-123 (1989) [PDF]
- ``On the Universality Class Dependence of Period Doubling Indices", M. Feingold, D.L. Gonzalez, M.O. Magnasco and O. Piro, Phys. Lett.A 156, 272 (1991) [PDF]
- ``From disks to hexagons and beyond: a study in two dimensions", J. M. Flesselles, M. Magnasco and A. Libchaber, Phys. Rev. Lett.67.18, 2489-2493 (1991) [PDF]
- ``Two Dimensional Bubble Rafts", M.O. Magnasco, Phil. Mag. B 65.5 895-920 (1992) [PDF]
- ``Periodically Kicked Hard Oscillators ", G.A. Cecchi, D.L. Gonzalez, M.O. Magnasco, G.B. Mindlin, O. Piro and A. Santillan. Chaos3.1 51-62 (1993) [PDF]
- ``Determinism and Stochasticity in Ideal 2-Dimensional Soap Froths", V. Fradkov, M. Magnasco, D. Udler and D. Weaire. Phil. Mag. Lett. 67 203-211 (1993) [PDF]
- ``Forced Thermal Ratchets'', M. Magnasco. Phys. Rev. Lett. 71.10 1477-1481 (1993) [PDF][clips]
- ``Measurement of the Persistence Length of Polymerized Actin using Fluorescence Microscopy'', A. Ott, M. Magnasco, A. Simon and A. Libchaber, Phys. Rev. E 48.3 R1642 (1993) [PDF][errata]
- ``Correlations in Cellular Patterns'', M. Magnasco. Phil. Mag. B 69.3 397 (1994) [PDF]
- ``Brownian Combustion Engines'', M. Magnasco, in Fluctuations and Order: The New Synthesis (M. Millonas, ed.) Springer-Verlag 1994
- ``Molecular Combustion Motors'', M. Magnasco. Phys. Rev. Lett. 72.16 2656 (1994) [PDF][clips]
- ``Actin filaments on myosin beds: The velocity distribution", L. Bourdieu, M. O. Magnasco, D. A. Winkelmann and A. Libchaber, Phys. Rev. E 52.6 (Dec 1995) [PDF]
- ``Szilard's Heat Engine'', M. Magnasco. Europhys. Lett. 33(8) 583-588 (1996) [PDF]
- ``Negative Resistance and Rectification in Brownian Transport'', G. A. Cecchi and M. Magnasco, Phys. Rev. Lett. 76.11 1968-1971 (1996) [PDF]
- ``Changing the Pace of Evolution'', M. Magnasco and D. Thaler, Phys. Lett. A. 221(5):287-292 (1996) [PDF][clips]
- ``Chemical Kinetics is Turing universal'', M. Magnasco, Phys. Rev. Lett.. 78(6):1190-1193, 1997 Feb 10. [PDF]
- ``Feynman's Ratchet and Pawl'', M. O. Magnasco and G. Stolovitzky. J. Stat. Phys. 93.3/4 615 (1998) [PDF]
- ``Towards a song code: evidence for a syllabic representation in the canary brain'', S. Ribeiro, G. A. Cecchi, M. O. Magnasco and C. V. Mello. Neuron 21.2 359 (1998) [PDF][cover][review][clips]
- ``A model for amplification of hair-bundle motion by cyclical binding of Ca2+ to mechanoelectrical-transduction channels'', Y. Choe, M. Magnasco and A. J. Hudspeth, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 95PDF]
- ``Contingency loci, mutator alleles and their interactions: Synergistic strategies for microbial evolution and adaptation in pathogenesis'', D. Field, M. Magnasco, E. R. Moxon, D. Metzgar, M. M. Tanaka, C. Wills and D. S. Thaler, Ann. NY Acad Sci 870 378-382 (1999) [PDF]
- ``An automated procedure for the mapping and quantitative analysis of immunocytochemistry of an inducible nuclear protein'', G. A. Cecchi, S. Ribeiro, C. V. Mello and M. O. Magnasco. J. Neurosci. Methods 87PDF]
- ``A kinetic proofreading mechanism for disentanglement of DNA by topoisomerases`', Jie Yan, Marcelo Magnasco and John Marko, Nature401932 (1999) [PDF]
- ``Noise-induced memory in extended excitable systems'', D.R. Chialvo, G. A. Cecchi, M. O. Magnasco, Phys. Rev E 61.5 5654-5657 (2000) [PDF]
- ``Noise in neurons is message-dependent'', Guillermo Cecchi, Mariano Sigman, Jose Manuel Alonso, Luis Martinez, Dante Chialvo and Marcelo Magnasco, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 97.10 5557-5561 (2000) [PDF]
- ``Essential nonlinearities in hearing'', V. M. Eguiluz , M. Ospeck , Y. Choe , A. J. Hudspeth and M. O. Magnasco, Phys. Rev. Lett. 84.22 5232-5236 (2000) [PDF][clips]
- ``On a common circle: natural scenes and Gestalt rules'', Mariano Sigman, Guillermo Cecchi, Charles Gilbert and Marcelo Magnasco, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 98 1935 (2001) [PDF] (was cond-mat/0105097)
- ``Kinetic Proofreading Can Explain the Supression of Supercoiling of Circular DNAs by Type-II Topoisomerases'', Jie Yan, Marcelo O. Magnasco, and John F. Marko, Phys. Rev. E. 63.2 (2001) [PDF]
- ``Evidence of a Hopf bifurcation in Frog Hair Cells'', M. Ospeck, V. M. Eguiluz, M. O. Magnasco, Biophys. J. 80.6 2597 (2001) [PDF]
- ``Unsupervised learning and adaptation in a model of adult neurogenesis'', Guillermo Cecchi, Leooldo Petreanu, Arturo Alvarez-Buylla and Marcelo Magnasco, cond-mat/0105070, J. Comp. Neurosci 11PDF ]
- ``Simple motor gestures for birdsong'', T. Gardner, G. Cecchi, M. Magnasco, R. Laje and G. Mindlin, Phys. Rev. Lett., 87208101 (2001) [ PostScript PDF ] [clips]
- ``Bailout embeddings, Targetting of KAM orbits, and the Control of Hamiltonian Chaos'', J. H. E. Cartwright, M. O. Magnasco and O. Piro. nlin.CD/0111005 , Phys Rev. E. Rapp Comm 6504.4 043-046 (2002) [ PDF ]
- ``Characterization of the expression ratio noise structure in high-density oligonucleotide arrays'', F. Naef, C. R. Hacker, N. Patil and M. Magnasco, Genome Biology (2002) [ PDF ]
- ``Noise and Inertia-induced inhomogeneity in the distribution of small particles in fluid flows'', J. H. E. Cartwright, M. O. Magnasco and O. Piro. nlin.CD/0111008., Chaos 12.2 489-495 (2002) [ PDF ]
- ``DNA hybridization to mismatched templates: a chip study", F. Naef, D. Lim, N. Patil and M. Magnasco, physics/0111199 . Phys. Rev. E. Rapp. Comm. 6504.4 038-041 (2002) [ PDF ]
- “Bailout embeddings and neutrally buoyant particles in three-dimensional flows”, J.H.E. Cartwright, M. O. Magnasco, O. Piro and I. Tuval, Phys. Rev. Lett. 89, 264501 (2002) [ PDF ]
- “Hopf bifurcations and hair cells”, M. Ospeck, V. Martinez-Eguiluz and M. Magnasco, Comments on Theoretical Biology, 6, 461-482 (2002) [ PDF ]
- “Noise-induced order out of chaos by bailout embedding”, J.H.E. Cartwright, M. O. Magnasco, O. Piro and I. Tuval, Fluctuation and Noise Letters, 2 (4), R161-R174 (2002) [ PDF ]
- “A study of accuracy and precision in oligonucleotide arrays: extracting more signal at high concentrations”, F. Naef, N. D. Socci, and M. O. Magnasco, Bioinformatics 19: 178-184. (2003) [ PDF ]
- “A wave traveling over a Hopf instability shapes the cochlear tuning curve”, M. Magnasco, physics/0111204, Phys. Rev. Lett. 90.5 058101 (2003) [ PDF ]
- “Absolute mRNA concentrations from sequence-specific calibration of oligonucleotide arrays” D.Hekstra, A. Taussig, F. Naef and M. Magnasco, Nucl. Acid Res. 31(7), 1962-1968 (2003) [ PDF ]
- “Solving the riddle of the bright mismatches: Labeling and effective binding in oligonucleotide arrays”, Naef F, Magnasco MO. Phys. Rev. E, 6801(1) 531-534 (2003) [ PDF ]
- “Decay rates of human mRNAs: Correlation with functional characteristics and sequence attributes.”, Yang E, van Nimwegen E, Zavolan M, Rajewsky N, Schroeder M, Magnasco M, Darnell JE Jr. Genome Res. 13(8):1863-1872 (2003) [ PDF ]
- “Bubbling and on-off intermittency in bailout embeddings.” Julyan H. E. Cartwright, Marcelo O. Magnasco, Oreste Piro, and Idan Tuval , Phys. Rev. E 68, 016217 (2003) [ PDF ]
- “Production of ribosome components in effector CD4+ T cells is accelerated by TCR stimulation and coordinated by ERK-MAPK”, M. Asmal, J. Colgan, F. Naef, Yu B., Lee Y., M. O. Magnasco and J. Luban, Immunity 19.4 535-548 (2003) [ PDF ]
- “Virtual gating and nuclear transport: the hole picture", Rout MP, Aitchison JD, Magnasco MO, Chait BT, Trends Cell Biol 13.12 622-628 (2003) [ PDF ]
- "Instantaneous frequency decomposition: An applicatioin to spectrally sparse sounds with fast frequency modulations " T. J. Gardner and M. O. Magnasco , J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 117 2896 (2005) [ PDF ]
- "Comparing independent microarray studies: the case of human embryonic stem cells" Mayte Suarez-Farinas, Scott Noggle, Michael Heke, Ali Hemmati- Brivanlou and Marcelo O Magnasco, BMC Genomics 6.99PDF ]
- "Computational models of adult neurogenesis" Guillermo Cecchi and Marcelo O. Magnasco,Physica A 356 43-47 (2005) [ PDF ]
- "In vivo transcriptional profile analysis reveals RNA splicing and chromatin remodeling as prominent processes for adult neurogenesis" Daniel A. Lim, Mayte Suarez-Farinas, Felix Naef, Coleen R. Hacker, Benedicte Menn, Hirohide Takebayashi, Marcelo Magnasco, Nila Patil, and Arturo Alvarez-Buylla Molecular and Cellular Neuroscience 31 131-148 (2006) [ PDF ]
- "Harshlight: a "corrective make-up" program for microarray chips" Mayte Suarez-Farinas, Maurizio Pellegrino, Knut M. Wittkowski2 and Marcelo O. Magnasco, BMC Bioinformatics 6:294PDF ]
- "Sparse Time-Frequency Representations",Timothy J. Gardner and Marcelo O. Magnasco Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA103.16 6094-6099 (2006) [ PDF ]
- Rao AR , Cecchi GA , Magnasco M High performance computing environment for multidimensional image analysis. BMC CELL BIOL 2007;8():NIL_93-NIL_101
- Bohn S , Magnasco MO Structure, scaling, and phase transition in the optimal transport network. PHYS REV LETT 2007 FEB 23;98(8):NIL_274-NIL_277
- Zilman A , Di Talia S , Chait BT , Rout MP , Magnasco MO Efficiency, selectivity, and robustness of nucleocytoplasmic transport. PLOS COMPUT BIOL 2007 JUL;3(7):1281-1290
- Magnasco MO, Measuring Variability , HFSP Journal 1.3 147-151 (2007)
- Taillefumier T and Magnasco MO, A Haar-like construction for the Ornstein-Uhlenbeck process, J. Stat Phys. 132.2 397-415 (2008)
- Tkacik G and Magnasco MO, Decoding spike timing: the differential reverse-correlation method. Biosystems 93(1-2) 90-100 (2008)
- Baikouzis C and Magnasco MO, Is an eclipse described in the Odyssey? Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 105.26 8823-8828 (2008) [Open Access]
- Magnasco MO, Piro O, Cecchi GA, Self-tuned critical anti-Hebbian networks, Phys. Rev. Lett. 102 258102 (2009)
- Andor-Ardo D, Hudspeth AJ, Magnasco MO and Piro O. Modeling the resonant release of synaptic transmitter by hair cells as an example of biological oscillators with cooperative
steps, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA doi/10.1073/pnas.0914372107 (2010)
- E. Katifori, G. J. Szöllősi, M. O. Magnasco, Damage and fluctuations induce loops in optimal transport networks, Phys. Rev. Lett.104, 048704 (2010)
- Gelfand M, Piro O, Magnasco MO and Hudspeth, AJ. Interactions between Hair Cells Shape Spontaneous Otoacoustic Emissions in a Model of the Tokay Gecko's Cochlea. PLOS ONE Volume: 5 Issue: 6 Article Number: e11116 Published: JUN 15 2010
- A. Zilman, S DiTalia, T. Jovanovic-Talisman, BT Chait, MP Rout, MO Magnasco. Enhancement of Transport Selectivity through Nano-Channels by Non-Specific Competition. PLOS COMPUTATIONAL BIOLOGY Volume: 6 Issue: 6 Article Number: e1000804 Published: JUN 2010
- T. Taillefumier and MO Magnasco, A Fast Algorithm for the First-Passage Times of Gauss-Markov Processes with Holder Continuous Boundaries. JOURNAL OF STATISTICAL PHYSICS Volume: 140 Issue: 6 Pages: 1130-1156 Published: SEP 2010
- Dubbs AJ, Seiler BA, Magnasco MO. A Fast L-p Spike Alignment Metric. NEURAL COMPUTATION Volume: 22 Issue: 11 Pages: 2785-2808 Published: NOV 2010
Geffen MN, Gervain J, Werker JF and Magnasco MO (2011). Auditory perception of self-similarity in water sounds. Front. Integr. Neurosci. 5:15. doi: 10.3389/fnint.2011.00015
Katifori E and Magnasco MO, Quantifying Loopy network architectures, PLoS ONE 7(6): e37994. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0037994
D. Andor-Ardo, Keen EC, Hudspeth AJ and Magnasco MO, Fast automated implementation of temporally-precise blind deconvolution of multi-phasic excitatory postsynaptic currents, PLoS ONE 7(6): e38198. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0038198 (2012)
- T. Taillefumier, Touboul J and Magnasco, MO, An event-driven framework for large networks of stochastic integrate-and-fire neurons, Neural Computation http://www.mitpressjournals.org/doi/abs/10.1162/NECO_a_00346 (2012)
- G. Solovey, Miller KJ, Ojemann JG, Magnasco MO and Cecchi GA, Self-regulated dynamical stability in human ECoG, Front. Integr. Neurosci. 6:44. doi:10.3389/fnint.2012.00044 (2012)
- XH Yan and Magnasco MO, Input-dependent wave attenuation in a critically-balanced model of cortex, PLoS ONE 7(7): e41419. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0041419 (2012)
- JN Oppenheim and Magnasco MO, A Topological Phase Transition in the Scheidegger Model of River Networks, Physical Review E, 2012, 10.1103/PhysRevE.86.021134 (2013)
- Human Time-Frequency Acuity Beats the Fourier Uncertainty Principle
PHYSICAL REVIEW LETTERS 2013 JAN 23; 110(4):? Article 044301
Taillefumier T and Magnasco MO, A phase transition in the first passage of a Brownian process through a fluctuating boundary with implications for neural coding,
- Degraded Time-Frequency Acuity to Time-Reversed Notes
PLOS ONE 2013 JUN 17; 8(6):? Article e65386
- Dynamical criticality during induction of anesthesia in human ECoG recordings FRONTIERS IN NEURAL CIRCUITS 2014 MAR 25; 8(?):? Article 20 Full Text (2014)
- Humans Can Discriminate More than 1 Trillion Olfactory Stimuli SCIENCE 2014 MAR 21; 343(6177):1370-1372 Full Text
- A Transition to Sharp Timing in Stochastic Leaky Integrate-and-Fire Neurons Driven by Frozen Noisy Input
NEURAL COMPUTATION 2014 MAY; 26(5):819-859
Full Text (2014)
Submitted or in preparation
Check all the preprints on the arXiv
- ``The thunder of distant Net storms'' M. O. Magnasco, nlin/0010051.
- ``The systematics of Huckel'', M. Magnasco and P. A. Wolff (in perpetual preparation).
- JN Oppenheim and Magnasco MO, Human time-frequency acuity beats the Fourier uncertainty limit, preprint (2011)
- T. Taillefumier and Magnasco MO, First passage of a random walk through a rough boundary: a phase transition with implications for neural coding, preprint (2011)
Proceedings, opinion, book chapters and other non-peer-reviewed.
- S. Ribeiro, G. Cecchi, M. Magnasco and C. V. Mello. Soc. for Neurosci. Meeting extended abstract, (1996).
- ``Representation of song-specific features of song in the auditory forebrain of the canary'', S. Ribeiro, G. Cecchi, M. Magnasco and C. V. Mello. Soc. for Neurosci. Meeting extended abstract, (1997).
- ``Automated mapping of immediate early gene induction patterns at cellular resolution'', G. Cecchi, S. Ribeiro, C. V. Mello and M. O. Magnasco. Soc. for Neurosci. Meeting extended abstract, (1997)
- ``Analysis of a syllabic representation in the brain of canaries'' G. A. Cecchi, S. Ribeiro, C. V. Mello and M. Magnasco. Soc for Neurosci Meeting extended abstract (1998), and Forum of European Neurosci. extended abstract (1998)
- ``Ontogenesis of syllabic maps in the caudomedial neostriatum of canaries'', S. Ribeiro, G. A. Cecchi, M. Magnasco and C. V. Mello. Soc for Neurosci. Meeting extended abstract (1998)
- ''Analysis of a syllabic representation in the brain of canaries'', Cecchi GA, Ribeiro S, Mello CV, Magnasco MO. EUR J NEUROSCI 1998;10:411
- Ontogenesis of syllabic maps in the caudomedial neostriatum of canaries. Ribeiro S, Cecchi GA, Magnasco MO, Mello CV. EUR J NEUROSCI 1998 10 408
- ``The evolution of evolutionary engines'', Marcelo Magnasco, in Complexity from microscopic to macroscopic scales, A. Skjeltorp, ed., Kluwer (2002) [ PDF ]
- ``Three lectures on biological networks: enzymatic, genetic and neural", to appear in proc. Les Houches.
- ``From features to expression: High-density oligonucleotide array analysis revisited'', F. Naef, D. A. Lim, N. Patil, and M. O. Magnasco, physics/0102010 , (which was to appear in the proceedings to the DIMACS Workshop on Analysis of Gene Expression Data that were not published) [ PDF ]
- NEURO-ONCOLOGY 2004 OCT;6(4):347 , Biological insights from the transcriptional profiles of adult mouse subventricular zone (SVZ) stem cell neurogenesis.
Other work by members of my lab (while here).
- L. Faucheux, G. Stolovitzky and A. Libchaber, ``Periodic forcing of a Brownian particle'', Phys. Rev. E 51, 5239-5250 (1995).
- G. Stolovitzky, T. Kapper and L. Sirovich, ``A simple model for chaotic advection and scattering'', Chaos, 5 671-686 (1995).
- D. Brunner, S. Fairhurst, G. Stolovitzky and J. Gibbon, ``Mnemonics for variability: Remembering food delay'', J. Exp. Psych.: Animal Behavior Processes (in press), (1996).
- G. Stolovitzky and G. Cecci, ``Efficiency of DNA replication in the Polymarase Chain Reaction'', Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A., 93, 12947-12952, (1996)
- K. R. Sreenivasan and G. Stolovitzky, ``Statistical dependence of inertial range properties on the large scale in high-Reynolds-number shear flows'', Phys. Rev. Lett., 77 , 2218-2221, (1996).
- M. Nelkin and G. Stolovitzky, ``Limitations of random multipliers in describing turbulent energy dissipation'', Phys. Rev. E, 54 , 5100-5106 (1996)
- G. Stolovitzky, ``An exact result concerning the energy balance in turbulent flows'', in preparation (1997) (draft available).
- G. Stolovitzky, G. Bonet and A. Libchaber ``Probing the elasticity of double-stranded poly(A:T) with molecular beacons'', in preparation (1997).
- G. Stolovitzky and G. Cecchi ``Quantitative results on the decrease of efficiency of PCR due to competition between primer-template and template-template hybridization'', in preparation (1997).
- Maddox, J. Nature 365203 (Sept 1993)
- Maddox, J. Nature 368287 (March 1994)
- Schewe, F. Physics News Update173 (Apr 1994)
- Council of Engineering Bulletin No. 258, Yale (Apr 1994)
- Leibler, S. Nature 370 412 (Aug 1994)
- Simon, S. Nature 371 103 (Sept 1994)
- Moxon, E. R. and Thaler, D. Nature 387 (1997)
- G. F. Ball and T. Q. Gentner, Neuron (minireview) 21.2 271 (1998)
- Henry Gee, Nature Japan (bionews) (Sep 24 1998)
- Complexity Digest 18 (May 13 2000)
- Ball, P. Nature Science Update (6 June 2000)
- Cho, A. Science 288(5473) 1954 (2000)
- Ball, P. Nature Science Update, (8 November 2001)
- Lichtman, Flora (Feb 19, 2010), Lighting Up Leaves, Science Friday
- Minkel, JR (Jun 23, 2008), "Homer's Odyssey Said to Document 3,200-Year-Old Eclipse", Scientific American (News)
- May 2000 (1mo) Visiting Professor, Universitat delles Illes Balears, Mallorca, Spain (visiting Oreste Piro)
- Feb 2001 (2wks) Visiting Professor, IMPA, Rio de Janeiro (visiting Jacob Palis)
- Apr 2001 (2wks) NATO conference, Geilo, Norway
- May 2001 (1mo) Visiting Professor, Ecole Normale Superieure, Paris (visiting Yves Couder)
- June 2001 (1mo) Visiting Professor, Universitat delles Illes Balears, Mallorca, Spain (visiting Oreste Piro)
- Aug 2001 (3wks) Aspen Center for Physics Summer School in enzymatic networks.